Preparing for your Colonoscopy
Before your procedure you will need to prepare
or “clean” your bowel:
- First, buy 2 boxes (4 sachets) of PICO-SALAX
at the drug store
- Follow the instructions on this page; DO NOT use
the instructions included with the PICO-SALAX
- You will only be required to use 3 sachets
for your preparation
On the day before your procedure, drink
ONLY CLEAR FLUIDS such as:
- water, juice, JELL-O, tea/coffee (no milk)
- NO SOLID FOOD!
If your procedure is in the morning, take one sachet of
PICO-SALAX at 12 pm, one at 4 pm, and one at 8 pm on
the day before the procedure.
If your procedure is in the afternoon, take one sachet of
PICO-SALAX at 4 pm and one at 8 pm on the day before your procedure, and one sachet at 7 am on the day of your procedure.
To prepare each sachet, mix the contents with 150 mL (5 oz)
of cold water and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes:
- If the mixture heats up while stirring,
let it cool before you drink it
- Drink at least 3 large glasses of Gatorade®, ginger ale
or water in the hour after taking each sachet
Continue to drink lots of fluids between sachets. Four hours
before your procedure, have nothing more to eat or drink.
- You may take your regular medications as usual on
the day before and the day of your procedure with sips
of water. Blood thinners such as Coumadin, Plavix and
Aspirin must be stopped for 5 days before your procedure.
If you take these medications, please consult your family doctor or your OCC surgeon.
- You will be sedated for the procedure and will not be able
to drive for 12 hours. You MUST arrange for a responsible adult to get you home.
- All your surgeons' fees are covered by OHIP. You must bring a valid OHIP card on the day of your procedure.